Friday, April 7, 2017

Looking at Grave Patterns

Hi everybody! Only one more week to go and I have to wrap all of my data analysis up. Right now I'm trying to have an optimistic and confident attitude like the GIF below.

The New Celebrity Apprentice 2016 nbc confidence snooki GIF

In the BONE lab this week, I did pretty much the usual things: clean bones, label bones, try not to choke on too much bone dust. Burials 1 and 2 of grave site 14-04 are now cleaned and being labeled. I have some cool pictures of skeletal remains below so this is the time to look away if you don't like viewing remains. The first picture is of two conjoined phalanges and the second picture is of vertebrae I've been cleaning. I find that I feel most uncomfortable when cleaning vertebrae over other types of bones.



As for my data analysis, I created more graphs on R this week! Like I promised, I have a graph on the proportion of grave goods. Also, I have a graph on the proportion of body positions for site 03-01. From the graphs below, you can see that faience beads comprise the majority of grave goods. Next, there are also quite a few burial shrouds present. This makes sense since the majority of the graves in 03-01 are Christian graves. You can also see from the proportion of body positions graph that the majority of remains are buried extended on their back instead of flexed to their right like the site 09-01. This is because Christian burial practices usually lay the remains on their back while in the Kerma period remains are usually flexed to one side.



Instead of an article discussion this week, I was invited to a brown bag meeting by Annie to see Dr. Tina Jacob of Durham University in the UK speak about her research in central Sudan. This presentation was really interesting as it featured similar results to what I've been analyzing in our data sets. For example, Dr. Jacob found that mostly women seem to be present in the grave sites. I found this to be true in our data as well. However, what I found really interesting is that she found no burial orientation patterns in her grave sites. In the El-Ginefab school site, I found quite obvious patterns that people are buried with their heads oriented to the west and feet facing the east. Another interesting topic Dr. Jacob talked about was of the practice of teeth avulsion found in three of her remains. In tradition Sudanese practices, which continue to this day, the canine/incisor teeth are removed during childhood. Bioarchaeologists are still not certain where this practice stems from or what the purpose of the avulsion or removal of these teeth are. Dr. Baker also finds evidence of this in her skeletal remain collection.
 shocked whoa julie andrews mary poppins GIF

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this post and the direction my research is going in so far. I will try to knit a word document of all the graphs I have created and try to discuss what the results mean with Dr. Baker so I can make more sense of all the patterns I'm finding. I wish everybody a joyous weekend!
Image result for cute bye bye meme

19 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole. Your work is amazing! What is the reason why only women were found in the burial sites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ethan! Thanks for commenting. Both men and women were found in the burial sites. However, because of sampling bias( very few intact remains found), more of one gender usually doesn't indicate anything interesting at least in the Kerma period sites.

      Delete
  2. All of your graphs and results seem pretty good, I'm looking forward to hearing more about what the results mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luke! I feel the same about your project!

      Delete
  3. Hey Nichole! I was wondering why the heads were pointed west and the feet oriented east in the El-Ginefab school site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aparna! Many of the graves in the El-Ginefab school site are from the Christian period and the classical Christian burial position has the head facing west and feet towards the east following the sun as it rises in the east and sets in the west.

      Delete
  4. Hi Nichole. You have brought us another week of interesting facts, accompanied with amazing graphs! If I may ask, why were you most uncomfortable when cleaning vertebrae? Also, is there a reason for the difference between positions in Christian burial sites versus those in the Kerma period?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! Great questions! I was uncomfortable cleaning vertebrae because something about the shape of the remains reminds me that I am cleaning a real human being who was a live and not a tree or a rock. The difference between positions in Christian burial sites results from a change in ideology.

      Delete
  5. Hey Nichole! So far everything seems to be wrapping up nicely. Do you ever wonder what it would be like to get a grave site where everything seems to be unorthodox? For example, one grave site completely ignores the rules followed by other adjacent grave site. It seems like a fun puzzle. Anyways, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! Thanks for commenting. I don't have to wonder about that because grave site 09-01 is like that with random body positions! It is fun wondering why on Earth grave positions seem so random but also kind of frustrating because you're not sure if you will ever learn what truly caused the grave site to be like that.

      Delete
  6. Hey Nichole! I found what Dr. Jacob said about how Sudanese practices often resulting in the removal of the canine/incisor teeth very fascinating. Obviously these teeth occupy a significant portion of the mouth, so how would this affect their diet? Also, is there evidence that teeth in the back moved forward to occupy the empty space?
    Thanks for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian! Thanks for commenting. I'm not sure how it affects the diet but bioarchaeologists identify tooth avulsion by seeing missing canines. There isn't enough evidence to show whether teeth in the back moved forward to occupy empty space since we have so few well-preserved remains.

      Delete
  7. Tooth avulsion seems like one of those practices that has been around so long that people might not actually know where it came from. My question for the week is: how to bones get fused together? I see all the time that teeth are fused to the mandible or phalanges are fused together, but what causes it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nicole!
    It seems like you had a fascinating week, too bad it's all coming to an end soon. Why do you think that there were no visable or noticable patterns found in the grave sights in Dr. Jacob's gravesights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megna! That's a good question. Annie thinks that it may be because the skeletal remains that Dr. Jacob has are very poorly preserved.

      Delete
  9. Hey Nichole! It seems like you're wrapping up your project nicely. What are going to miss the most about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Urmi! Thanks for commenting. I'm going to miss looking at all the cool skeletal remains and definitely the article discussions that I have with Dr. Baker and Annie.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nichole! It's wonderful to see the results of your project slowly but surely coming in! Do you think you will have time to finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liam! I do believe I have time to finish. It took a lot of work this week but I created a Powerpoint presentation. We'll see how it goes!

      Delete