Thursday, March 16, 2017

Looking at Life in Death

Hi all! I hope everyone had a wonderful spring break for those who took their break last week. After a rejuvenating break, I can go back to the BONE lab with a very optimistic and positive attitude!

Nickelodeon animation nickelodeon nick nicktoons GIF

This week in the BONE lab, as usual, was great! I finished inputing data from the field records into Dr. Baker's data base and also started cleaning Burial 8. What was amazing was getting to see skeletal remains of "Breech Birth Lady" and her baby. Just as a warning, I will be showing pictures of the remains below. The skeletal remain dubbed "Breech Birth Lady" was found in a Kerma period grave where the skeletal remains was found with the remains of her baby still in her pelvis which obviously was the result of a breech birth. The first picture below is of the mother and the second is of her infant.



After inputting the data from field forms so I can use R to get some statistics, I had a discussion with Dr. Baker about the direction my project could go in. First, I will be looking at the head orientation of the remains and looking at patterns between sites. After that, I will hopefully be looking at grave goods and also looking at patterns using R. I will probably not be looking at the health status and focus mainly on the cultural side of bioarchaeology since I do not have the osteological background and isotope analysis hasn't been done on a lot of the remains yet. Some sites don't have grave goods so Dr. Baker is hoping that hopefully with R analysis if we'll see whether the lack of grave goods as a pattern in some sites is proof of graves of an earlier time period or from people who migrated from different areas outside of Nubia. More exciting new is that we'll be getting carbon-dating results next week from the skeletal remains so we can finally tell the age of the remains! On the field records some remains are predicted as being between 24-55. 
 reactions wtf muppets ineedthisforreactions freaking out GIF

As for this week's article discussion, we discussed the origin of bioarchaeology and how exactly bioarchaeology falls into the very broad category of anthropology. For years, skeletal biology and archaeology were two totally separate categories that were studies as two individual disciplines. Skeletal biology, however, was heavily influenced by culture history where skeletal biologists engaged in studies which implied a differential evolution of different races. This problem was eventually overcome and gradually archaeologists began to put together the importance of looking at biology and culture together. Bioarchaeology falls into the category of anthropology that incorporates physical/biological anthropology, forensic anthropology, and archaeology. Depending on who you're trained by, Annie says some bioarchaeologists, like her, focus more on the biological/forensic side of anthropology while other focus more on the archaeological part. Bioarchaeology is quite an oddball of a subject to study.

Image result for you're weird but I love you

Anyways, I hope everyone enjoyed learning more about the background of bioarchaeology and learning where it stands in Anthropology. Thank you for following my posts and I hope to see you all next week!
O&O, Inc wut totoro idgaf my neighbor totoro GIF

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for another interesting blog update as always! The Breech Birth Lady was pretty interesting to hear about, and the carbon dating news seems exciting. Learning the origin of bioarchaelogy was new. If you persue a career in bioarchaelogy would you be more forensically or archaeologically focused?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MEgna! Thanks for your comment. I think if I pursued a career in bioarchaeology I'd be more biologically focused because I spend most of my time with Annie who herself is more biologically and forensically focused so I learn more about the biological part of archaeology most of the time.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to hear about the carbon dating analysis results. Thanks for keeping us updated on what direction your research is going. Have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Silbaugh! Thank you for commenting and I'll make sure to keep you updated.

      Delete
  3. Besides just being fascinating to learn about the age of the skeletal remains, will it help your research at all? Will knowing the age of the individuals help to determine if/when people migrated to different areas, or maybe their reasons for doing so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Conner! Thank you for commenting. The age of the skeletal remains will definitely show if some grave sites are older than others which might be connected to the lack of grave goods in some sites.

      Delete
  4. Seems like it was a packed week back from spring break. After learning more about bioarchaeology, do you think you might want to study more about it in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luke! Yes, I would like to study bioarchaeology further in the future but I don't think I'd go into a bioarchaeology career.

      Delete
  5. I cant wait to hear about your carbon dating results! I hope you're able to discover migrating, climate, or demographic patterns using the ages of the remains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Aparna! I'll make sure to update you on the carbon dating results!

      Delete
  6. From what I understand, the bones of children are made differently from the bones of adults, from the content of marrow to the amount of cartilage to the bone density. does this make children's bones harder, easier, or the same to clean and categorize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caleb! Thanks for commenting. Children's bones are smaller than adult bones and in general, smaller bones take longer to clean but there are fewer of the bones so you can organize them easier than adult bones.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nichole. You've brought us another fascinating week of your BONE lab. I did not realize how complex bioarcheology is. Was the Breech Birth Lady the first remains of a pregnant woman you've encountered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! Thanks for commenting. Breech Birth Lady was the first remains of a pregnant woman I've encountered. It is kind of gruesome to think of the excrutiating pain she must have gone through.

      Delete
  8. Hey Nichole! It must be lots of fun to have these discussions with Dr. Baker. I was wondering, do you give these remains your own secret nickname or do you just stick with the nickname already given (I know that's what I'd do)? Also, love the end GIF. I ended up using the same one on my post this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! Thanks for commenting! I'm just using the nicknames Dr. Baker and Annie call them( though it would be cool to have a secret nickname I guess). And Totoro is awesome! Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  9. 'Looking at Life in Death' was definitely a suitable title for this week's post. You mentioned that the average lifespan of the remains was around 25-44 years old; I was quite surprised hearing 55 considering these remains come from such an ancient civilization! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian! Thanks for commenting. One of the most common misunderstandings is that ancient people had very short life spans. Although there was a very high infant mortality rate, if you managed to survive childhood, you could have a pretty long lifespan.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nichole! Reading about your project continues to be fascinating, as it is the primary method for conducting historical discoveries,so it is extremely relevant. What is the primary reason for fossils to be destroyed and unrecoverable, wouldn't it be more difficult to analyze a past civilization if that happens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liam! Thanks for commenting. It does seem counter-intuitive to have to break bones to find out valuable information. However, only a fragment of the skeletal remain is used for tests such as carbon dating so the entire remain isn't destroyed in the process.

      Delete
  11. Hey Nichole! I love reading your posts as they are so different because what you're studying and learning about is something that we typically only read in textbooks or museums. It's awesome that you're not only getting more insight and perspective in this field but also sharing it with all of us! (PS - I loved the gifs and memes used in this post :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Urmi! Thanks for commenting. I'm so glad that you enjoy reading my posts and I will make sure my future posts will uncover more bioarchaeology.

      Delete
  12. Aloha Nichole! This article was so great, you could just say that it was super, special, and awesome. By the way, how do you even "dub" a skeletal remain, do you vote on the name in the lab, or do you just "dub" it out of convenience sake and not really worry about it? In addition, if you found a bone that wasn't from a human, would you guys look at that too, or just send it to another researcher or something? Mahalo for the information! "We are not the makers of history. We are made by history" -Martin Luther King Jr.

    ReplyDelete